How can we avoid the darkside of video games?

Posted by on 11 December, 2007
This post was filed in Uncategorized and has 8 comments

Are video games killing our youth?

Todays guest is John Douglas, his website is (www.granddesignproductions.com)

8 Comments on “How can we avoid the darkside of video games?”

• 1.
    Joe
    11 December, 2007, 5:17 pm

The show hasn’t even started and I know the answer to this one. Don’t play them!!! Parents – Get in touch with your children and know what kinds of games they are playing online. Purchase a blocker….be a positive influence and role model. Need I go on?

• 2.
    Mike
    11 December, 2007, 6:55 pm

This is Justin’s Father, Just to stree how bad it got, I even took Justin to first step to have his Drug Tested. Since Justin found the Lord his life has changed to unbelievable levels

• 3.
    Justin
    11 December, 2007, 11:17 pm

I can’t really type up my whole history here, but I was on the show with John and Stu. I have had a huge history in gaming, which does include being ranked #1 in the world at Call of Duty at one point in time.

First and foremost, I want to say that I have been affected so adversely by gaming. If anyone needs help with gaming, you can definitely post your questions here. I would love to answer them the best that I can. If you aren’t comfortable posting your questions here, I can provide my e-mail.

———–

One thing that I feel has attributed to gaming becoming a more widespread addiction is our tolerance of gaming. When I used to game every day for hours upon hours, it wasn’t accepted by those around me. Gaming was considered pretty nerdy, even if it was Halo. I had to hide how much I played games from people at school. It seems that right after I got out of high school, gaming became a way of life for a lot more people though. Games like Halo, Madden, and World of Warcraft are considered cool games to play. Now because it’s “cool”, people are more free to indulge.

If anything, I want to urge parents to be more involved with their children and to not let them take part in something just because society says it is ‘OK’. If my parents knew where gaming was going to take me, they would have never allowed me to start. Even my dad, who wasn’t any where near as against gaming as my mom, was so relieved when the team I played Call of Duty with broke up. He is the one who posted the reply right above this one.

I spent 10+ hours a day on the computer. When my dad used to try and get me to stop playing, I would become extremely belligerent. We had multiple fights, and if gaming was the topic of the fight, it was at least the root cause.

Gaming can definitely become an addiction. It isn’t any different than alcoholism. I’m at the point now where I have had to quit gaming “cold turkey”. There is no such thing as just a little bit of gaming for me anymore, which means it is all or nothing. God has thankfully taught me how to choose “nothing”.

I do think the gaming addiction can be avoided when a parent is very active in the growth of their child. Discipline goes a long way, which includes doing things that may cause your child to dislike you for a period of time. I think if you love your child though you will understand. John talked a whole lot about the violence of video games and what exactly it is that we are letting in when we play many of them. As parents, you can cover your child’s eyes though. Just like a parent who covers their child’s eyes when something bad comes on a television show.

I do want to add…

At the foundation of my turning away from gaming is my relationship with Jesus Christ. When I finally broke free from gaming, I had people who loved me praying for me. I had also gotten saved about 1 month after I became #1 in the world at Call of Duty. We talked on the show about how quitting gaming leaves a void in your life. I guarantee you that is absolutely true and the only one who can fill that void is Jesus Christ. Having an on fire relationship with Him is key. The fire from your relationship is essential to burning away all the other things that may try to come in and fill the once empty void. When I have stumbled, He is the SOLE being who picked me back up and gave me the faith to persevere.

I know my post has been a little scattered. Gaming is really growing now though and it is hard to grasp every effect it has on those who partake in the games. Once again, I want to say that I would love to answer any specific questions that people have. I believe we, as believers, really need to get the word out on gaming.

• 4.
    Summer
    12 December, 2007, 4:39 pm

10+ hours of gameing?!? How does a child find the time?! What about going to the bathroom? Amazing.

We were always outside in the woods pretending to be dinosaurus.

• 5.
    Tommy
    12 December, 2007, 4:52 pm

Thanks for taking my call on the show.

I had a couple other comments.

1. Parents need to be involved in their kids life’s. Not only restrict certain games in the house, but explain to them why you do not want them to play. If a kid just hears you saying No No No, they might not understand why. This works for Movies and TV shows as well. My daughter has actually told other parents that she could not watch certain shows. Imagine that, a kid at another kids house where the show is allowed, but still making sure to tell the parent that it is a bad show.

2. I think video games are a symptom or offshoot of the problem. That is a more violent and increasingly uncaring society. Look at movies and prime time TV shows. Look at the commercials on TV.

3. Also parents remember some of these video games are “interactive”. Which means your kids can chat and meet people on these games the same way as they could in chat rooms. It amazes me how some parents block or monitor chatrooms but don’t do the same with the interactive video games. Sickos can get to your kids through these as well.

Summer – A lot of kids don’t go outside anymore. They sit in front of a TV or computer screen.

Regards –

Tommy

• 6.
    Justin
    13 December, 2007, 6:49 pm

I agree with you Tommy. Gaming is not at the root of my history. It’s the relationships that kids have with their parents that matters the most. My parents actually got divorced when I was probably around 13/14. I am 20 now. I lived with my dad and he worked a regular 8 hour day at the office and then came home and spent the rest of the night fixing problems via his connection to the office at home. He didn’t really spend a ton of time monitoring what I was doing. I know he had tried to implement some sort of monitoring measures and restrictions, but I knew how to get around his restrictions if they were simply in place via a program or a removed pc part. I think explaining to your kids exactly why you are taking away certain things or not allowing them to participate is essential. It isn’t good to just tell them “no”, because they will probably just come to the assumption that you don’t love them as much and don’t want them to have fun. If you explain why though, it changes their perception.

My biggest goal though is to reach parents who don’t understand what is in the video games today. I was essentially allowed to grow up gaming and I want them to know what it did to me. I also want to reach the gamers who were basically let loose on a pc and now are so addicted that they find it hard to get away.

Also to Summer. My mom used to always make comments like the one you just made… but over the years that I heard those things, it never changed anything in my life. I understand that it is hard for you to see things from my perspective and see how I could have spent so much time on the pc. I just want to encourage you to see that things obviously are different today and problems manifest themselves in different ways. There are kids out there who are addicted way worse than I was. Some kids have died from addictions to games such as Everquest. They would go for days and days with minimal sleep, hydration, or food. One lady founded a group called Online Gamers Anonymous because of this exact event happening in the life of her son or husband (I think).

What kid’s need today is loving relationships with their parents. Thats the bottom line. We are talking godly love.

• 7.
    Dan
    18 December, 2007, 3:08 pm
  • 8.
    31 December, 2007, 5:19 pm

I PRODUICE TV SHOWS AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET JUSTINE ON OUR TV SHOW. COULD YOU GIVE ME JUSTIN’S EMAIL OR CONTACT

INFORMATION PLEASE.

STU JR. KNOWS ME AND HE IS BEEN ON OUR SHOWS.

SANTOSH